Frequently Asked Questions
Who needs to pay the Real Estate Tax?
Real Estate taxes are paid by those who own property where the tax has been assessed.
How many annual Real Estate billings can you receive?
Real Estate taxes are collected by the County, Township/Borough and the School District that you live in. Generally, this could be up to 3 different tax bills for each tax year.
When does my bill get mailed?
County and Township bills are generally mailed out in Feb/March and School bills are generally mailed out July/August. This depends upon the jurisdiction that you live in. If you do not receive your bill around this time, it is important that you call in to get a duplicate copy. Failure to receive your tax bill does not eliminate your need to make timely payments.
What is an interim tax bill?
If the County Assessment office increases the assessment value of the parcel, depending on the effective date, you may receive an interim tax bill for the increased amount. Interim bills are in addition to your annual bill.
How can I pay this bill?
There are several ways to pay your bill.
- Online by Credit Card or Bank Account (ACH). Click here to pay online using our Online Payments page. Choose the Per Capita Tax, Real Estate Tax and Utility Billing payment option. A 3rd party fee applies to electronic payments.
- Over the phone. You can call 866-225-8451 to make a credit card payment by phone. A 3rd party fee applies.
- Mail. Mail your stub(s) and money order or personal check to PO Box 25144, Lehigh Valley PA 18002
- In Person. Bring your stub(s) and money order or personal check to one of our many offices. The local office is listed on your bill in the upper right hand corner or click here to see a list our offices as well as addresses and phone numbers.
Please note: For the safety of our associates we do NOT accept cash payments for any taxes that we collect
What do you do if you receive the tax bill, but your mortgage company pays your taxes?
If your mortgage company pays your Real Estate Taxes, you should forward a copy of your tax bill to your mortgage company.
How do I appeal my assessment value on my property?
If you disagree with the assessment value of your tax bill, you should call your County Assessment office to appeal. Click here for County Assessment office information.
What do I do if I received a tax bill and no longer own the property?
If you no longer own the property, please return the bill to our office indicating that the property was sold. You must also contact the Tax Assessor’s Office at the County Courthouse to transfer the title of record.
Do we accept the postmark date?
The discount and base due date payments will be accepted by the postmark of your envelope, but if it is the final payment of the tax year, we must receive it by the date indicated on your tax bill.
What happens if Berkheimer receives duplicate payments?
The duplicate payment coming in will be returned to that last payee.
How long does it take to get a duplicate tax bill?
Once Berkheimer has your request, it will take approximately 3-5 business days to mail your duplicate tax bill. If you supply an email address it can be emailed to you as well. Submit a Balance Inquiry / Bill Request Form
How do I get a tax certification?
To obtain a tax certification, complete the Certification Request Payment Form below and mail the form to the address on the form along with a check for $20.00 for each parcel you need the certification for, with the following exceptions:
- If you are requesting a tax certification for the School District of Lancaster for the 2011 tax year (prior years see below), the fee is $25.00 for each parcel you need a tax certification for.
- If you are requesting a tax certification for Wilkinsburg Borough, the fee is $35.00 for each parcel you need a tax certification for.
Make the check payable to HAB-MISC and mail to HAB-MISC, 50 N 7th St, Bangor, PA 18013
Certification Request Payment Form
The School District of Lancaster – 2010 & Prior Tax Cert Request should be mailed to Nellie Serrano at SD of Lancaster, C & M 3rd Floor, 251 S. Prince St., Lancaster, PA 17603 or faxed to 717-291-6096.
How do I get a tax receipt?
Your cancelled check serves as your receipt.
If you require a paper receipt to be mailed to you, you must supply a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your original payment and/or request.
If you have already sent in a payment,
By Fax or Email: Please click here for the Real Estate Tax Receipt Request Form
By Mail: Please mail your request to: HAB-MISC, 50 N 7th Street, Bangor PA 18013 and include the following:
- A self-addressed stamped envelope.
- In your written request, please include your first and last name, phone number, parcel number, and account number.
What is the Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion?
The Homeowner Tax Relief Act, Act 72 of 2004, was signed into law on July 5, 2004 to allow school districts to reduce property taxes through a homestead and farmstead exclusion. For more information on the Homestead/Farmstead exclusion click here.
If you have additional/specific questions that are not addressed above, please click on the link to send an inquiry to our customer care department.