Why e-file?

  • The e-file program walks you through and does the calculations for you. All you need to do is enter the information from your hard copy forms into the electronic form and the system does the rest.
  • Saves on stamps and you know Berkheimer Tax Innovations has received the return whether you had the correct tax withheld, made a payment, or requested a refund.
  • You get a confirmation number immediately and you can view your return 24/7.
  • Our site is safe and secure!
  • Refunds can be directly deposited into your bank account; no waiting for a check to arrive in your mailbox.

How do I get started?

  • Choose to file online by clicking here, or you may use our fast and convenient BerkApp. More information and links to download our app can be found by clicking here.
  • Make sure you have a Supported Browser. View a list of Supported Browsers
  • Our online e-file program works best with computers but it may work with other devices.
  • Make sure you are eligible to file online
  • Image Upload Method
    • You lived in an area that we served for that tax year
    • You Can pay for your return in full if tax is due, via a scheduled ACH payment (electronic payment from your checking or savings account) or immediate Credit Card payment, at the time of submitting your return electronically.


  • Select Forms Method
    • You lived in an area that we served for that tax year
    • You either lived within the same PSD (taxing jurisdiction) for the entire tax year OR if you moved between PSDs you did not have Philadelphia income during the tax year you are filing.
    • You are not claiming an out-of-state credit from a state other than New York or Delaware.
    • You did not live in a PSD that had a mid-year tax rate change during the tax year for which you are filing.
    • You are not claiming an Act 172 credit
    • You can pay for your return in full if tax is due, via a scheduled ACH payment (electronic payment from your checking or savings account) or immediate Credit Card payment, at the time of submitting your return electronically

Can I file jointly?

  • If you are filing by the April due date you can file both you and your spouse’s tax returns at the same time.
  • If you are filing after the April due date you will need to file a separate tax return for you and a separate tax return for your spouse.
  • You can also add a spouse, can change the spouse listed, or delete the spouse.

Can I file multiple Individual Tax returns?

Yes.  Once your user account is created, you will have the ability to file multiple individual tax returns under the same user account (i.e. clients and/or other family members).

How do I set up an account?

  • Create a new account.
  • Complete the required fields
  • Click Create User Account
  • Go to your email Inbox.
  • Click on the link in the email to activate your account.
  • Login using the email address and password.

How do I change my password?

  • While logged in, click on My Profile.
  • Type a new password in the New Password field
  • Retype the new password in the Confirm New Password field
  • Click Update Profile.

What if I forgot my password?

If you forgot your password it’s easy to change using the forgot / reset password link on the user login page.

If you tried your password 3 times and are locked out, contact us via email or by phone 610-599-3139 and we will unlock your account.

How do I file an Extension?

File an extension online using our e-file program. If filing an extension for both you and your spouse, you will have to enter the information in for both of you separately.

Why do I have a Validation Issue?

  • Are you sure you have typed your social security number correctly? If you are filing for the first time with office, please check the social security number on your W-2.
  • Has your last name changed in the last year?
  • Has your zip code changed in the last year?

How do I update my name and / or address?

Choose that you need to update your address and you will be able to update your name on the same form that is displayed.  If you don’t need to change your address, just re-enter the same address.

How do Upload Images work?

  • You can now upload an electronic copy of your local earned income tax return with no data entry! Upload Images is an alternative online filing method that allows you to skip entering all the details of your local tax return.
  • This option is intended for use by tax preparers or individuals who have used tax preparation software to create an electronic copy of their local tax return in a supported file format.
  • Individuals can also use this option to save a stamp if they have a paper copy of their completed local tax return.  Simply scan your tax return and all supporting forms and schedules to an accepted format and upload the file(s) after answering a few basic questions.
  • The preferred file format is .PDF.  Other accepted formats include: .BMP, .GIF, .JPG, .JPEG, .PNG, .TIF, .TIFF

What is Select Forms?

  • Use this option to file by selecting and populating the necessary forms online.
  • Type the information on the hard copies of those forms into the electronic version of the same form
  • The program does all the calculations for you.

How do I change the format I chose to file in (Upload, Select Forms)? 

You must delete the return that you have already started and restart a new return selecting the format you wish to use.

How do I delete a form that I checked by accident or add a form I forgot to check when originally asked?

Click on the Forms menu on the left hand side of the page and check or uncheck the form.

Why are my State Wages being used if I have Local Wages on my W-2 form?

Since 2003, the definition of taxable wages and net profits for local filing purposes are identical to those used by the Commonwealth, so if the boxes do not match you should be reporting the state wages to us.

Why does the online W2 ask for my work PSD?

You may be employed in a jurisdiction that taxes non-residents at a higher rate. This usually is due to working in a distressed area. The additional tax withheld, up to this tax rate, remains in the city you were employed in. (For tax year 2018 and forward the Worked in PSD should be the number listed in box 20 on the W-2).

My tax rate is showing the Non-Resident rate for where I work, why?

This is to ensure you are being taxed at the correct rate. If you are employed in a distressed area, some of your taxes may remain in the area you are employed. This will happen if your resident tax rate is lower than the non-resident tax rate of where you work

Where do I enter my quarterly payments?

On the Forms & Schedules page select Quarterly Estimated Payments.

During the filing process the website will take you through completing the selected forms. Once you reach the Estimated Payments page you will “add estimated payment from prev tax year” indicating the Payment Amount, Payment Date and Tax Quarter.

Why wouldn’t I get a refund when I or my spouse work in Philly?

  • Philadelphia wage tax credits may not be applied to your spouse’s liability. Money paid to Philadelphia cannot be used against the tax liability of a taxpayer that didn’t pay the money to Philadelphia.
  • No refund or credit can be taken for any withholding greater than the tax rate for your resident taxing jurisdiction. Since all tax withheld stays in Philadelphia, we do not have the money to refund or credit to you.

When can I expect my refunds?

Please allow 75 days to issue a refund from the April due date.  If you file after the due date, allow 75 days from the date we received your tax return.

How do I pay if I file online?

You can pay by ACH for free or using a credit/debit card for an additional 2.5% processing fee.

How do I cancel a payment I put though as ACH or Credit Card?

  • If you are paying by credit card, the payment is processed immediately; therefore, cannot be canceled.
  • If you selected an ACH payment and picked the option to select a date, you can cancel your payment under your online account up to two (2) business days prior to the date you selected.
  • If you selected an ACH and you did not select a date or are within the two days from the date selected, you will not be able to cancel your payment. If you made an error, you will have to file an amended return. You can download a form by clicking here.

When making a payment will I need to pay the day I file?

When filing online and a payment is due, you must also pay online.  If you are paying by credit card the payment is processed immediately.  If you are making an ACH payment, you may schedule a payment for a later date.

How do I get a copy of my tax return? 

  • If you filed online go to the menu and View Previously Filed Returns
  • If filed by mail, email us by clicking here.

How can I tell if my tax return was received?

  • If you filed online you would have received a confirmation number. You can also go to the View or Print box or Previously Filed Returns under your online account.
  • If you filed by mail, contact us by clicking here.

What do I do if my form won’t submit?    

Check to see if there are any error messages referenced in red text at the top of the screen that must be corrected before submitting successfully.

Will I get confirmation my return was received?  

You will receive a confirmation email once the return has been submitted to the email address you provided.

Can I make any changes to my Tax Return once it is submitted?

No, once you have submitted the return no changes can be made to the return. Changes must be made by filling out a hard copy amended return and sent by mail, fax, or email.

I forgot to print my Final Return; can I go back and print a copy? 

Yes, you can log into your account and choose View or Print.  Then select “Download” to print a return for a specific year.

Do I need to send a paper copy if I file online?

No, you do not need to send a hard copy.

How do I file an Amended Return?

Amended returns may be filed via the web site or paper.

When filing online, check the amended box.

When filing paper, check the box “Amended Return” which can be mailed, emailed, or faxed.


If you have additional/specific questions that are not addressed above, please click on the link to send an inquiry to our customer care department.

Please note that these are general frequently asked questions. If you have a specific questions, please use the Customer Care Department link above to contact us with your specific question(s).

If you would like to be contacted regarding your comment, please leave your email address.