Frequently Asked Questions


Need to check your balance? Click here

Real Estate taxes are paid by those who own property where the tax has been assessed.

Real Estate taxes are collected by the County, Township/Borough and the School District that the property is located in. Generally, this could be up to 3 different tax bills for each tax year.

County and Township bills are generally mailed out in February / March and cover January 1 to December 31. School bills are generally mailed out July / August and cover July 1 through June 30. The mail date depends upon the jurisdiction that your property is located in.

Check our Mailings page for a list of clients and the most recent mailing date of their Real Estate Tax bills. Click here to review the Mailings page.

If you do not receive your bill around this time, it is important that you request a duplicate copy at Failure to receive your tax bill does not eliminate your need to make timely payments.

If the County Assessment office increases the assessment value of the parcel, depending on the effective date, you may receive an interim tax bill for the increased amount. Interim bills are in addition to your annual bill.

There are several ways to pay your bill by using your account number, bill id and zip code.

  • Pay on your Smart Phone or Tablet by downloading our BerkApp from your app store.
  • Pay by credit or Debit Card or by Bank Account (ACH) at A 3rd party fee applies to electronic payments. The QR code on the front of this bill takes you to this page.
  • Pay over the phone to pay by credit or Debit Card or by Bank Account (ACH) by calling ACI Payments, Inc at 866-225-8451.
  • Mail your check or money order, along with the remittance stub, to the address indicated on the stub.

Please Note: We DO NOT accept cash payments.

If your mortgage company pays your Real Estate Taxes, you should forward a copy of your tax bill to your mortgage company.

If you disagree with the assessment value of your tax bill, you should call your County Assessment office to appeal. Click here for County Assessment office information.

If you no longer own the property, please return the bill to our office indicating that the property was sold. You must also contact the Tax Assessor’s Office at the County Courthouse to transfer the title of record.

The discount and base due date payments will be accepted by the postmark on your envelope. If it is the final payment of the tax year, we must receive it by the date indicated on your tax bill.

The duplicate payment coming in will be returned to that last payee.

Once Berkheimer has your request, it will take approximately 3-5 business days to mail your duplicate tax bill. If you supply an email address it can be emailed to you as well. Submit a Balance Inquiry / Bill Request Form

To obtain a tax certification, complete the Certification Request Payment Form below and mail the form to the address on the form along with a check for $20.00 for each parcel you need the certification for, with the following exceptions:

  • If you are requesting a tax certification for the School District of Lancaster for the 2011 tax year & forward (prior years see below), the fee is $25.00 for each parcel you need a tax certification for.
  • If you are requesting a tax certification for Wilkinsburg Borough, the fee is $35.00 for each parcel you need a tax certification for.

Make the check payable to HAB-MISC and mail to HAB-MISC, 50 N 7th St, Bangor, PA 18013

Certification Request Payment Form

If urgent, also complete the Real Estate Tax Certification Request Form or the Utility Certification Request Form.

If we have your email address on file, a receipt will be emailed to the address on file once the payment posts to your account. If we do not have your email address, your cancelled check will serve as your receipt. If you are providing your email address on the stub, please allow additional time for the receipt to be emailed to you.

The Homeowner Tax Relief Act, Act 72 of 2004, was signed into law on July 5, 2004 to allow school districts to reduce property taxes through a homestead and farmstead exclusion. For more information on the Homestead/Farmstead exclusion click here.

If you have additional/specific questions that are not addressed above, please click on the link to send an inquiry to our customer care department.

Please note that these are general frequently asked questions. If you have a specific questions, please use the Customer Care Department link above to contact us with your specific question(s).